Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What being an artist means to me



A shared post from Pikaland: What does being an artist mean to you?

The organizer/instructor of the online class that I'm taking, Amy Ng, is very active on her blog, Pikaland, which is how I found out about the class in the first place. This week she asks readers, "What does being an artist mean to you?" and I thought I'd share my thoughts on the question here, but make sure you also read her post at the link above.

In the Pikaland post, Amy included a quote from Edgar Degas:

Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.” ~ Edgar Degas  

Degas truly sums up my feelings about being an artist. My thought process and visual interpretation of the world are a big part of my creativity. Without the ideas or quirky observations about life my drawings, photos, and collages would not have much meaning to myself or to others, they'd just fall flat. I know that my way of thinking and observing has effected my daily life in the way that I witness particular moments happening around me and then I'm able craft them into a visual treats to share.




No comments: